To work with individuals or small groups of learners, under the day to day direction of the provision lead (Tutor/Job Coach), to provide support for their personalized learning, attainment and progression while promoting their independence and self-esteem.
Main duties and responsibilities for all Learning Support Assistants
- Provide support to individuals and small groups of learners aged 16 - 25.
- Use routine supervision and care skills to support SEN learners, including those who have physical, emotional or educational needs.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with learners that enhances motivation and promotes learning and development.
- Promote an inclusive learning environment across the programme.
- Liaise with parents when required.
- Attend team meetings as required
- Work flexibly as part of a team to ensure that the well-being, behaviour and personal development of learners enhances learning opportunities and life skills.
- Accompany learners off-site if required.
- Maintain confidentiality inside and outside the workplace
- Transport learners to their education provision/ work experience or enrichment placement if required
- Participate in appraisal and professional development as appropriate.
- Understand and apply our policies.
- Carry out duties with regard to equal opportunities, health and safety and quality assurance.
- Complete and maintain professional CPD log in order to improve your skills, including those outside of mandatory requirements.
Additional duties for Classroom based Learning Support Assistants
- Support the tutor in identifying the most effective teaching approaches and resources for learners with particular needs.
- Help create and maintain an effective and exciting environment of learning.
- Keep the teacher informed about the progress and needs of students supported.
Additional duties for Supported Internship based Learning Support
- Liaise with learners and work placement provider/s as appropriate and report to the job coach to ensure that the placement runs smoothly.
- Track and report the progress of placements for assigned learners.
- Provide appropriate in-work support to learners in their workplace during their placement.
Additional duties for community based Learning Support Assistants
- Provide enrichment support to individuals and small groups of learners based on their interests and aspirations.
- Work with learners to identify interests and set goals that promote independence towards adulthood.
- Design activities that help learners meet their identified goals.
- Monitor learner participation, enjoyment and progress and report progress to the Enrichment Coordinator and parents as appropriate.